Caffeine: the most potent artificial intelligence drink!

Caffeine: the most potent artificial intelligence drink!
Deep in the Lair of the Perpetually Curious Fox

Thursday 4 September 2014

Fungi of Yellowknife


As always, practice care in foraging for wild foods. I did not eat any of the mushrooms I picked close to town due to the mining activity close to the area - I only collect them for identification purposes and taking spore prints to double check species.

When in doubt, DO NOT EAT!

Birch Bolete (Leccinum scabrum)

Leccinum scabrum, sectioned

Lactarius torminosulus (Woolly Milk cap, northern variety)

Light tan gills


Haven't identified this one yet - lost the fungus on the way home, duuh!
Much suspect this to be Boletus pinophilus due to the reticulation on stipe, and the fattened base.

I am still kicking myself for losing this fine specimen.
I blame the mosquitos and blackflies for my incessant flapping about and dropping things in the bush.



Yet another Birch Bolete! Worms love them, too.

Big one!










Taking a break from mushroom hunting.

You need bug shirt here in the summer and autumn.
See that mosquito just over my left shoulder, marring the lake background?

No comments:

Post a Comment